Fluoride, being a trace element, may not be sufficient in most instances. It is an excellent mineral, offering several benefits in dentistry for decades. Thus, fluoride may be provided to you through different modes of delivery.
Fluoride treatment provided by the Brookline general dentist can help reverse dental caries and improve your overall oral health.
An introduction to fluoride treatment
Fluoride treatment is a common preventive procedure offered to patients that serves a great purpose. It involves the application of a high yet controlled concentration of fluoride to your teeth. The fluoride seeps into the tooth structure and forms a protective shield or layer that prevents plaque accumulation and bacterial colonization.
- Remineralize your tooth enamel
- Reverse early tooth decay
- Slow down the process of demineralization
- Prevent the growth of cavity-causing bacteria
Mode of delivery
- Topical fluoride
- Here, fluoride is delivered through toothpaste, mouth rinse, and gels.
- Dentists recommend topical fluoride treatment for children at least twice a year during dental checkups.
- Systemic fluoride
- This mode of fluoride delivery can strengthen the erupted teeth as well as the ones that are still developing under the gums.
- This is administered through regular community water supply or ingested in the form of oral tablets.
- Care should be taken to discuss the dose with your dentist to prevent the risk of fluorosis (excess fluoride levels that cause white spots or stains on your teeth).
Application of fluoride treatment in dentistry
Fluoride treatment is often indicated in the following conditions:
- Deep pits and fissures on the occlusal surfaces of the teeth
- History of frequent cavities
- Exposed and sensitive root surfaces
- Fair to poor oral hygiene
- Frequent sugar and carbohydrate intake that put you at an increased risk of caries
- Inadequate exposure to fluorides
- Xerostomia, a condition caused by low saliva content leading to dry mouth
Fluoride treatment is a popular preventive measure
Fluoride treatment has been the most popular choice in preventive dentistry due to the following benefits:
- It can be successfully used for all age groups
- Effectively prevents tooth decay
- Halts or arrests existing caries
- It is an affordable and less time-consuming procedure
- Avoids the necessity for expensive dental procedures
- Prevents premature loss of teeth
Good oral hygiene is essential for your overall physical well-being. Preventive measures like fluoride treatment can help reduce your risk of oral problems like dental decay. However, ensure to follow good oral hygiene, in addition to a healthy diet and regular dental visits to rejuvenate your oral health.